May 13, 2011

TRIBUTE: PLUS SIZE MODEL ICON MIA AMBER DAVIS


When I got the call that Mia Amber Davis passed, it felt like the air was snatched from lungs. I prayed that I was misinformed, that it was anything but the truth. It was too much to bear, My Role Model and a Woman who Inspired me Immensely was gone Forever.

On May 10, 2011 the Plus Size Community lost a Prominent Icon and Advocate. Mia Amber Davis wasn't just a Plus Size Model and Actress ... She was the "Plus Size Industry." I cannot stress enough how important her work and life was to the Curvy Community. Mia was an Advocate for Size Acceptance and gave the Plus Size Community a voice in mainstream media.


     

One year before I began my journey as a Plus Size Model, I walked into an Ashley Stewart Store on Jamaica Ave in Queens NY. I was with my mom and was absolutely taken away by the beautiful images of a Brown Skin Beautiful Curvy Woman that decorated the store. That woman was Mia Amber Davis, and it was the moment I felt I could do the same.
I feel so fortunate to have excelled in my career to have had the honor to work beside My Role Model. It brings me to tears that I never told her how much she meant to me. A close industry friend said to me " They say you should give flowers to people while they can still smell them." What a vital life lesson to be learned ... I can not go back in time, I can only move forward and hope that my work and efforts honor and carry on the message Mia fought so diligently for.
  
Mia Amber Gracing the Runway

Mia Amber Davis for Monif C.

I Love Mia for the strength she possessed to stand up for the Plus Community and for setting an Extraordinary Standard for Plus Size Models to come!






Mia Amber Davis for Ashley Stewart Spring 2011
 

My deepest condolences go out to Mia's Husband, Family, Dear Friends, her Plus Model Magazine and Plus Model Academy Family. Their angel has found her way to heaven and will be forever missed. 



Mia and her Husband Mike Yard












Ironically the last conversation I had with Mia was at an event. I brought up the fact we didn't have any photos together, she was in disbelief too. We said we would get to it .. but we got too busy with interviews that evening ...     
So I look forward to that shoot in Curvy Diva Heaven with You !!!
~Love, 
Asia Mone't  


PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO MIA AND HER FAMILY BY DONATING TO THE MIA AMBER FUND



BEAUTIFUL TRIBUTE VIDEO PROVIDED BY

No comments:

Post a Comment